Life is pink

The adventures of an American ex-pat living in France.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Amusing public transportation stories...

So, I take the bus to work every day, and the train to Rouen at least once a week. It's quite interesting what can happen on the bus or the train. We'll start with the bus:

-There is a man in Elbeuf who really likes me. He's never tried to really talk to me, but whenever we ride the same bus, he stares at me, unblinkingly, with the hugest smile on his face. He proceeds to talk to me, or himself, I don't really know which, in some foreign language I don't understand. When he sees me through the bus window he does the same thing.

-I have gotten on the wrong bus before. No idea how. It took me in exactly the wrong direction and I had to talk 45 minutes to get home.

-The bus doesn't necessarily come when it's supposed to. I run. A lot. Or wait for a very long time. Amazingly I've never been late for work, but I have missed several trains because of this.

-One day when I was waiting for the bus, I was resting my foot on a cement ledge that ran the length of the street to fix something on my bag. A man came up and told me to move so he could sit down because he was very tired. Now, something was wrong with this picture, as the ledge ran the length of the street, so he had meters and meters to sit down on. He asked me what time the bus was supposed to come, and I told him. He continued to stare at my butt and my thighs as he talked to me, so I moved away. The bus came. I was relieved. Then on the bus, he felt it was better to yell at the driver to stop when he wanted then press the "arret demande" button. Interesting man

Ok, now for the train. The best story happened the same day as the last bus story.

-I was going to Rouen. The train was almost to the destination, so I moved to a seat by the door. There was a strong smell of marijuana in the air, but as I was next to the bathroom I figured someone had been smoking there. No. Just as the train was about the stop, a man falls down the stairs with a joint in his hands. He is obviously not sober, but I am forced to stand by him because there are so many people and I can't get away. I figure I can lose him on the stairs. I don't know if he decided the stairs were too difficult or what, but he leaned on the railing, and began screaming. At what? No idea. But I don't think he made it up the stairs.

-Ok, not much on the train can top that story. I did have a women push me down the stairs to get out once, as she was saying, "It's time to go go go" in English. Maybe hostility toward Americans, or just basic unpleasantness.

That's all I can think of right now. Just a stupid post for my sister to read as she waits to give birth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home