Life is pink

The adventures of an American ex-pat living in France.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

My new dream in life...

So, this is an idea that Sidney and I have been talking about for the last month or so (since he doesn't read my blog as I've never told him the address, I'll be honest: it's my idea, as he doesn't know Minnesota). I want to open a Boulangerie in Minnesota.

A boulangerie is like a bakery, but so much better. They sell bread of various kinds--baguettes, croissants, pain au chocolat, croissants covered in chocolate, apple/raspberry struddle-type things, then little pattisseries made of various fruits and chocolates, and specialty desserts depending on the season. Cakes, too. There are boulangeries everywhere in France, and everything they sell is always made that day and absolutely delicious. So, I want to open one of these, as croissants are never fresh in MN, I feel, and baguettes are so much better than slices of sandwich bread.

But, I would not just sell bread, so it wouldn't be exactly the same as a French boulangerie. I don't think that I could make enough money to stay open like that, so I'd sell several coffee drinks, too, but coffee and hot chocolate would not be the main part of the Boulangerie, just a huge help to have enough funds to cover/ supplement the bread mission.

I would open this shop on Grand Avenue in Saint Paul, as I feel the people who would shop at a Boulangerie live on Grand or Summit Avenues. Then, after the money starts rolling in, I would start selling French wine and champagne, not to drink there, but to sell. Then, once the first one is well-known over the Cities, I'll open one in Minneapolis, probably the France Avenue neighborhood. Then, I'll take it to Chicago...then....and then....

Ok, this is my idea. The only problem is I don't know how to make bread. And I don't have money for this sort of thing. (Or ovens, a building, or basically anything except an idea). So, if you feel like donating to this cause, feel free...

And I'm an aunt! Eva Marie Kotero was born on Jan. 31st and she is healthy and beautiful!

1 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger Margo said...

i fully support this idea.. my dad wants to open a scandinavian bakery on grand, so maybe you two could open up shop together!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home